ICRA and Irish Sailing believe it is important to support young sailors as they graduate from their club’s Junior programmes. While some will continue to sail in dinghy fleets, competing at club, regional and national level. There are a significant number of young sailors that become Irish Sailing instructors and partake in University Team Racing but simply drop out of the club racing scene.
An Under 25 keelboat development programme can offer a place for some of these sailors. Keeping them active in the sport and fostering their commitment as members of their clubs.
Goals of the programme
For the Sailors:
– To Create a pathway for Junior sailors to progress into the adult sailing scene.
– To support and encourage U25 sailors to create their own team.
– To provide ongoing support as the young sailors learn about running a keelboat campaign.
– To introduce self-reliance, budgetary responsibility and self-determination among the U25 teams.
– To encourage graduates of U25 programmes, to form an ongoing team/campaign within in the Irish Cruiser Racing scene.
For the Clubs
– To provide financial assistance for clubs to invest in developing a U25 programme.
– To share ideas and advice to Clubs on how to retain young adult members.
– To Increase the number of young Adult sailors within your club and the Irish Cruiser Racing community.
– To foster the future owners of Racing Cruisers in Ireland.